Tampa spans across a very wide area of the Tampa Bay Region in Hillsborough County.
Tampa is part of the metropolitan area most commonly referred to as Tampa Bay. For U.S. Census purposes, Tampa is part of the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, Florida Metropolitan Statistical Area. The four-county area is composed of roughly 4 million residents, making it the second largest metropolitan statistical area in the state, and the fourth largest in the Southeastern United States, behind Miami, Washington, D.C. and Atlanta.
Spanish explorer Ponce de Leon first arrived in the area in 1513, but the Spaniards focused their attention on settling eastern Florida and left the western areas alone. In 1824, only two months after the arrival of the first American settler, four companies of the U.S. Army established Fort Brooke to protect the strategic harbor at Tampa Bay.
Fort Brooke was located at the mouth of the Hillsborough River, near the site of today’s Convention Center. The first civilian residents were pioneers who settled near the fort for protection from the nearby Seminole population, and the small village was first incorporated as “Tampa” in 1849. The town grew slowly until the 1880s, when railroad links, the discovery of phosphate, and the arrival of the cigar industry jump-started its development, helping it to grow from a quiet village of less than 800 residents in 1880 to a bustling city of over 30,000 by the early 1900s.
In 1886 Vicente Martinez Ybor established a cigar factory in Tampa. From the steps of Ybor’s factory, Jose Marti, sometimes called the George Washington of Cuba, exhorted the cigar workers to take up arms against Spain in the late 1800’s. Hispanic culture is embedded in Ybor City, which covers about 2 square miles between Nebraska Avenue, 22nd Street, Columbus Drive and East Broadway. At its peek, about 90% of the cigars made in the USA were made in Ybor.
The military has also had an ongoing role in local development. The city was the primary outfitting and embarkation port for U.S. troops bound for Cuba during the Spanish-American War. Today the U.S. Central Command and U.S. Special Operations Command are headquartered at MacDill Air Force Base.
The main Tampa downtown business district has grown phenomenally since the 1960s. Major banks and an increasing number of other corporations occupy many of the buildings downtown. The Convention Center, overlooking the Hillsborough River, offers meeting facilities and features access to the Riverwalk. The newest stretch of the Riverwalk was completed in 2015, and now spans north of Kennedy Blvd. to Channelside Bay Plaza, and patrons can also hop on Bayshore Blvd. The USA longest continuous sidewalk at 4.5mi.
See more at: http://www.tampagov.net/info/tampa-history#sthash.snXr9f7z.dpuf
Tampa Real Estate Information:
Carrollwood was founded in 1959 and was built out in the 1960s. The community spread westward during the 1970s and 80's. Carrollwood Village consists of the following areas. Avista … Read More...
Westchase is a master-planned, deed restricted community encompassing over 2000 acres. It is located within 20-30 minutes of the Tampa airport, Westshore Business District and 25-35 minutes to St. … Read More...
Tampa Palms is an exclusive mix-use, planned golf course community in Tampa. Complete with homes, shops, offices, apartment homes, churches, recreational facilities, schools and dinning … Read More...
Avila is Inspired by a 16th Century walled city in Spain. In 1970’s, Tampa resident, Robert (Bob) Sierra, began the development of an idea that he had for his native Hillsborough county. He merged … Read More...
Seminole Heights is a historic neighborhood and district located just North of Downtown Tampa. It includes many early 20th century bungalow homes and historic buildings. It was an early residential … Read More...